We don’t need to work very hard to come up with reasons to not vote for Donald Trump, we highlight just a few below, and this list certainly isn’t exhaustive:
- He’s hypocritical about everything – Trump has admitted to being good friends with the Clinton family, yet now he slews vulgar attacks at Hillary just like the other GOP candidates. In a 1999 interview with Meet The Press, Trump stated, “I am very pro-choice” – which is completely contradictory to his most recent statements that women who have abortions should be punished. Seems like Don is flip flopping on a lot of issues in order to deceive his Republican base.
- Drumpf to Trump. The oh-so-powerful Trump dynasty once had a less memorable surname – Drumpf. Drumpf for President just doesn’t have the same ring to it, especially when he’s talking about himself.
- Trump University – As if Trump needed another thing named after him, he created his own “university” that claimed to make people rich and successful like himself through education with prestigious real estate mentors. Turns out the whole thing was a complete scam, teaching people little to nothing and robbing them of their money. When all was said and done in 2010 after the “university” failed, nearly $40 million was scammed from these impressionable students
- He talks in 3rd person – The narcissism of having your name on everything including buildings, clothing, scamming universities, and even steaks – yes steaks – is one thing, but talking in third person is a whole new level of crazy. The only time anyone should be able to get away with talking in third person is if they star in Sesame Street and their name is “Elmo”.
- He doesn’t really “tell it like it is”- Many Trump fans claim to like Trump because he “tells it like it is”. If this is the case, “telling it like it is” means being blatantly racist, bigoted, and spewing false information. PolitiFact has reviewed 117 statements made by Trump and found a whopping 77% of them to be either mostly false, false, or pants on fire. Only a mere 3% of Trump’s statements were completely true.
- The Donald hates women- Donald Trump has had a bad history of misogyny. he once tweeted “26,000 unreported sexual assults
[yes he misspelled assaults] in the military-only 238 convictions. What did these geniuses expect when they put men & women together?” Trump has also made offensive statements about numerous women, including Rosie O’Donnell, Megyn Kelly, Hillary Clinton, Ted Cruz’s wife, and more. I imagine if he were here to defend himself he would say something along the lines of, “I don’t hate women. I know women. Women love me. I’ve had three wives, I don’t hate women”. Speaking of Trump’s three wives – so much for those republican “family values”, right?
He’s got the worst comb over of all time- It’s hard to take a man seriously with hair like that. Seriously.
He said he’d date his daughter- Direct quote from a 2006 interview with The View: “If Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her”. Just ew.
- The Wall- Trump wants a wall and he wants Mexico to pay for it, to which former Mexican President Vicente Fox responded, “I’m not going to pay for that f—ing wall.” Last Week Tonight’s host, John Oliver, breaks down just how absurd the notion of building a wall across the US-Mexican border really is.
- He normalizes hate- All jokes aside, Donald Trump’s presidential campaign shouldn’t be taken lightly. Trump’s rhetoric normalizes hate and incites violence. Sadly, an alarming population of our country shares aligning views. As members of the Democratic Party, we must denounce these ideologies and continue striving for a tolerant union.