1. The Affordable Care Act (ACA), also known as “Obamacare,” will force employers to lay off full-time workers.
This statement is false. Private sector employers have created more than 2 million full-time jobs since the ACA was passed (source: The Franklin Forum).
2. Many Americans have lost their insurance because of the ACA.
This statement is misleading. Insurance companies still control people’s plans, and because of the ACA have been forced to offer people new, affordable, higher quality plans. So far, 13 million Americans have gained better coverage through the ACA, including the exchanges, Medicaid, and young people staying on their parents’ plans (The Franklin Forum).
3. The president’s appearance on “Funny or Die” and “March Madness” are beneath the office and desperate.
This is just dumb. The president has a sense of humor, and these appearances worked. After being on “Funny or Die,” visits to the ACA website increased 40 percent from the previous day.
4. The ACA will make tax time confusing for Americans.
This is just dumb. Are we talking tax reform here or helping Americans stay healthy and avoid bankruptcy? Besides, more than 17 million Americans will get a tax credit under the ACA (The Franklin Forum).
5. The ACA is not popular. It should be repealed.
This is really dumb. About 66 percent of all Americans want to keep the law, or only make small changes to it. About 80 percent say they want the ACA to work. Some parts of the ACA, like increasing the age young people can stay on their parents’ insurance, are hugely popular (The Franklin Forum).